The interview is the last step of the hiring process. It offers you and the employer the opportunity to meet one another and exchange information.
Preparing for the Interview
The process of applying for a job starts with an application. Probably no one ever found a job only on the basis of a well –designed resume or an expressive cover letter, but these things do go a long way in attracting the attention of an interested employer. Once your resume is short listed then starts the main interview process.
Points to be noted during the Interview
The three Vs of the cycle of communication are
- Visual- body language, eye contact, gestures, gait, posture and smile
- Verbal- words, speech, articulation and content
- Vocal- tone, accent, pitch, intonation and rhythm
- Never be late for an interview- ten minutes early is on time but on time is late.
- Hold your head up, put on a smile and be sure you look like you are enthusiastic about the opportunity. Be polite and cordial to everyone you meet, you never know whose opinion will count.
- Clothes should be formal, clean neat and tidy. Handbags and brief cases should be in good condition and shoes should be well polished.
- Sit upright with your back straight. A good posture will show the interviewer that you are prepared.
Potential interview questions
Q1: Tell me about yourself?
Answer 1: It’s probably your best chance to tell the interviewer on why you are the right one for the job. Here you can talk about your present skills, and a little bit about the experiences you gained at the previous position.
Q2: What are your strengths?
Answer 2: Be prepared to talk about your strengths and skills and what you can bring to the organization. Mention something that would benefit the organization – motivation, enthusiasm, commitment, passion for a high tech environment and love for the work you do.
Q3: What are your weaknesses?
Answer 3: Refrain from mentioning any weakness that is unfavourable for the organization. For example, if applying for the post of team leader, do not mention indecision or short temper as your weakness.